Large video files are slow to upload and download. The maximum size for a video upload in the Maglr library is 50MBs. One of the most popular tools that can significantly shrink the file size without losing quality is HandBrake.
HandBrake is a free and open-source transcoder for digital video files and is available for Linux, macOS, and Windows. It can convert video from nearly any format, e.g. .wmv – Windows Media Video File, .avi – Audio Video Interleave File, .m4v, .mov, etc.
Reducing video file sizes
This article illustrates how to compress a video file for web publications. The preferred compressed video format is .MP4 as it is the most supported video format on the web. Depending on your original video file, following the instructions in this tutorial, the file size may still be reduced even if your video file is already MP4 format.
- Click 'Open Source' to select the video you want to compress;
- Under 'Save As - To:' you can decide where the compressed file is saved by clicking Browse. Change the folder to another location if necessary. You are required to provide a (new) name for the compressed file;
- Check that the output setting Format is set to 'MP4 File';
- And make sure that the box Web Optimized is selected;
- Click Start to compress the video.
- The green Start button will become a Red Stop button until the compression is complete.
- When the button turns back to green, you are ready to view the compressed video at the designated folder.